Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Martyrdom of Polycarp

I have recently posted over at Patristic Readers, a first pdf version of The Martyrdom of Polycarp. The text is free to download, as all the electronic versions will be. Next I will be working on the Greek text of Passio Perpetuae et Felicitatis.

MP was a relatively short text, just over 2500 words, and I have been able to work quite quickly on it. The Greek is not difficult, so I did not feel compelled to offer too much commentary as I went. On every page my goal was simply this: could someone coming from a couple of years of Koine Greek make their way through the Greek text without having to refer to an English translation? Whenever I felt this was not the case, I made some comments. I also made a few other comments on things of passing interest/pedagogical note. I believe this, coupled with the vocabulary keyed for each page, makes an attractive little reader.

What next?

After a few days rest I begin on the next text, which is considerably longer, at around 4000 words. Based on how long Polycarp took, PPF should take about 40 work hours to complete, assuming the text is not overly difficult. Ad Ablabium is a similar length, and is likely to take a little more than 40 hours, as it is more complex and will require more commentary as well as more of my own brain power.

Print versions?

I will combine MP and PPF into a single print volume later in the year. I have a few extra things to do to set up the print side of this, including deciding myself what sort of covers to go for, some tax details, and there is the issue of getting print-proofs to approve before general production may be possible (even for POD this is necessary). However, if all goes well, I hope to see these 2 volumes in print in time for Christmas.

So please, take a look, have a read of Polycarp if you haven't tried your hand at it before, and above all feel free to pass on any feedback you may have, it can only improve.

2 comments:

Jonathan H said...

Looks interesting! I'll get to it this week.

Seumas Macdonald said...

I hope you enjoy it! Get in touch with any feedback or corrections you may have.