Friday, July 18, 2014

State of the Ørberg, II, with another excerpt

I have to confess that progress on my Greek translation of Lingua Latina is going quite slow this summer, which is a shame because I had high hopes for making solid progress. There are a number of reasons: more attention being paid to my doctorate, work on other exciting projects, needing to preach almost weekly, and a little less than perfect enthusiasm. It is also difficult to motivate when I have no guarantee that I can release a full version of it. Last month I attempted to email the publishing house response (Domus Latina, not Focus), but heard no reply to my inquiry about translation rights. Since my work is almost entirely derivative, I don't see how I could release a copy into the public without some permission for it.

Anyway, I am still working on it. It's excellent work for myself, and earlier this week I completed most of (the text portion anyway) chapter 12. So here's another little excerpt from the draft version.

Στέφανος· ἆρα ἔτι οἱ Γερμανικοὶ τὴν πατρίδα ἑαυτῶν ἀμύνονται;

Δημοσθένης· ἀλλὰ ἡ πατρὶς ἡμέτερα καλλίων ἢ ἐκείνων! καὶ δὲ καὶ οἱ Γερμανικοὶ ἄνθρωποι βάρβαροί εἰσιν.

Στέφανος· ἆρα μὴ ἀνδρεῖοί εἰσι οἱ Γερμανικοί;


Δημοσθένης· ἀνδρεῖοί εἰσι ἐκεῖνοι, ἀλλὰ οἱ Ῥωμαϊκοὶ ἀνδρειότεροί εἰσιν, οὐδὲ τὸ ὅπλα τῶν Γερμανικῶν τοσαῦτα ἀγαθά ἐστι ὅσα ἡμέτερα. ἡ ἀσπὶς αὐτῶν λίαν μικρά ἐστιν, ὁ ὑσσὸς λίαν μακρὸς καὶ βαρύς· οὺδὲ γὰρ ὑσσὸς τοσοῦτος βαρύς πόρρω βαλλέσθαι δύναται. ὁ οὖν ὑσσὸς ἡμέτερος βραχὺς καὶ κοῦφός ἐστιβαρχύτερος καὶ κουφότερος  ἢ ὑσσὸς τῶν Γερμανικῶν. οἱ στρατίωται οἱ Ῥωμαϊκοὶ εὖ μάχονται, ὅτι οἱ ὑσσοι αὐτῶν βραχεῖς καὶ κοῦφοί εἰσιν, οὐ μακροὶ καὶ βαρεῖς ὡς Γερμανικῶν. τὴν πατρίδα ἡμῶν ὅπλα ἀγαθά ἀμύνονται. οὐδεῖς πολέμιος τὴν πόλιν καταπολεμεῖν δύναται.


No comments: