Monday, September 16, 2013

Book Review: Fight: A Christian Case for Non-Violence

I just finished reading Fight: A Christian Case for Non-Violence by Preston Sprinkle and thought it should get some kind of a review.

This is just the kind of book I think should have been written, and I have almost no disagreements with the author throughout, so it's no surprise that I think it's a great book. So let me tell you why it's a great book on this topic.

Firstly, the author is aiming to bridge a gap and write for a more popular level, which is something I wouldn't have done in this book, but it is much needed and very welcome. His writing style is warm, personable, and skilled at presenting complexity without being overly simple.

Secondly, he offers a solid biblical-theological treatment of the topic, giving adequate attention to the development of the theme through scripture, while also spending time addressing church history, practical theology, and objections.

Thirdly, the author is putting forward non-violence within a context of broad reformed/evangelical thought, which is (sadly) not its usual home, but agreeably is my own context, and it's one in which I think actually the strongest theological case for non-violence can be made.

If I had any criticism of the book it would only be that it's not the book I would write, but actually I am thankful for that because at least it means there is still a place for my book! What I would like to see is a much more thorough-going development of a biblical-theology of violence and of non-violence as an ethic, written at a more academic level. This fine volume has re-inspired me to do some writing and research towards such an end.

Anyway, all to say that (a) you should read this book, and (b) I would give it 5 stars.

No comments: