Monday, May 07, 2012

Skyping in Latin and Greek

I think I'm up for it. No more than half an hour, with some pre-agreed structure, maybe a text to talk about or maybe a simple topic. I think this is, given my context, one of the few possibilities open to me for going beyond reading/writing to more listening/speaking.

Mongolian classes and Gaelic classes are teaching me that, as much as comprehensible input is both necessary and prior, there is something about the act of speaking that needs to be practised to ingrain language production as an active skill, not simply a passive one.

In other news, I have been sitting on Latin-Best-Practices and Oerberg mailing lists for a long time, but about a year and a half ago I stopped reading. I've started working through all the saved ones I have, which is slow, and it's getting me excited about language acquisition again. This is great news I think.

No comments: