Tuesday, April 17, 2012

An invitation to collaboration

Back in 2007 I had a lot of time on my hands, which was great, and I started a project with much enthusiasm (this is typical), and then abandoned it (also somewhat typical). The project was to convert some of the old FSI language course materials for use with Latin. The result was about 1.5 units worth of material, the first unit is here, on a very out of date page.

Fast forward to 2012. I would say my Greek and Latin have come a long way. I would also say the field of communicative approaches to ancient languages has come leaps and bounds in that time. The work of people like Buth, Oerberg, Rico, Miraglia, et alii, is exceptional. I don't have their years of learning, and I don't have the time and resources to do this to that kind of level.

Nevertheless, I often find it frustrating to wonder how to say the most basic conversational phrases in languages that I know, and I ponder why I know x,y,z in one language but not another. So, having a little bit more time on my hands, and a strong impetus for working up some Greek and Latin, I've decided to revive these projects.

But this time I'm inviting you along for the ride (whoever still reads this). I intend to continue the Latin from where I left it, and to start working on an Ancient Greek version as well. Much of the work consists of working out what vocabulary and phrases to use to fit the English conversational material. I don't worry about sequencing or grammar or whatever, this isn't really a stand alone course from that perspective, just about what is good quality, even if sometimes neologised where necessary, Latin and Greek, that could be used for contemporary conversation.

If you would be interested in collaborating with me on this, please get in touch.

I have created a site for this project, at which I will upload work in progress and which collaborators might use.

No comments: