Monday, October 04, 2010

Training Diary

I meant to write 3 intelligent blogposts this weekend. Review some books, drop some exegesis skills, that kind of thing. Instead I spent the long weekend digitising music, visiting friends, catching a film at the cinema, and so on. So instead, I'm going to talk about exercise.

I tend to be a little addictive in personality, and this extends to exercise. Coming out of high school, I did martial arts, and trained 2-4 times a week. After university, I did a 6 month stint in a tech college learning Fitness Instruction, at which time I also joined the Tech gym, and went to about 14 training sessions a week. That was a fairly high level of training! I was swimming, running, doing weights, and martial arts.

Turns out I really like lifting weights. It's a solitary kind of pursuit, which suits my personality well. This last year I have been back in the gym. I'd taken a couple of years off any organised or formal exercise, and suffered for it. So now I am in the gym usually 5 days a week. I'm not naturally a big person, I really struggle to gain weight. Currently I'm the heaviest I've ever been, and the strongest.

One of the problems with enjoying weight lifting, is that I just like to pile on more activities to my program, so I think I've ended up overtraining lately. I had a shoulder injury many years ago (torn rotator cuff from a skateboarding incident), and so my left shoulder is usually the first to feel things. The second problem I have is the bad habit of just wanting to keep training.

But this week I'm going to be good - no lifting at all. Just a bit of cardio work. I used to run a lot, but not so much anymore, but I'm working on that too. I also really enjoy indoor rowing. What I love about these, and lifting weights, is that it is all so measurable. Metrics means you can record, and thus improve, your efforts.

Anyway, this week, just some running and rowing, and then I'm going to cull my bloated weights program back to some core exercises.

An hour in the gym is also a good length of time to listen to a lecture or sermon on the ipod.

Hope you've enjoyed this off topic post/ramble.

1 comment:

Alistair Bain said...

I did enjoy it. Thanks. You must be cut like glass.

When I was at Uni I badly broke my leg and so went from being a really aerobically fit soccer player to being on crutches or a stick for 12 months.

So during that time I went to the gym with a friend. Just upper body stuff. We went every day. I was pretty useless at first but after about 18 months of training I was getting a lot bigger. Triceps were probably the most obvious. But pecs and lats too. (I'm 6 foot 3 so it was a lot easier for my short training partner to look bigger than it was for me.)

Looking back on those days they were some of the most fun times I've ever had. And as I got stronger and bigger I could see that fitness and exercise are a good thing.

It's the one thing that I need to get back into. Thanks for the reminder.