Saturday, October 23, 2010

On the reading of texts, a personal note

This past week I've had the pleasure of spending three days in the second block of an intensive MA subject on Galatians. A pleasure for two reasons. 1) As an MTh student, I have been able to audit subjects like these for free, reaping much of the benefit without either financial cost or submissable assessments. 2) There is just something very refreshing about the study of the text. I like nothing better than to sit down with a portion of text, particularly the sacred scriptures that is, but other texts occasion a similiar delight, and read it with close attention to detail. The bulk of my MTh is simply a reading of Chrysostom with attention to certain details. My preaching style is built upon simply reading the text in front of us. The text is indeed the thing.

If I can hold my own attention for long enough, I will post up a series of exegetical notations on Galatians.

No comments: