Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hobbies

It used to be that I could say that things like Latin and Greek were my hobbies. But then they became my studies. And now I'm a full-time student again and Greek is mainly what I do. It's a little bit sad to say that my favourite hobby outside the study of ancient writings is... the study of ancient writings and languages!

I have other interests though. I like to play some bass guitar. I used to do a lot of martial arts, but I gave that up for theological reasons.

So now I go to the gym 5 days a week. It's my main non-study hobby. I once studied fitness at a technical college, something people often find hard to believe. In fact, I topped our class for "Group exercise to music" - i.e. running an aerobics-type class. I like to lift heavy objects.

This year has been good for gym going, since I'm in at college 5 days, I just go across to the uni gym. I've been really pleased to reach some goals I've never got to before, including being able to do my own body weight and above on a chest press and lat pulldown. Other things have been harder - getting back into some running for instance. My knees are not what they used to be and my cardiovascular fitness has declined. Nonetheless, Tue and Thu are cardio days and I do a 5km row or run on the machines.

Anyway, I just thought some of you might like an insight into my life apart from new schemes for the advancement of classical languages.

As an extra bonus, yesterday I learnt the word 'kebbock' through my Gaelic study. It's always exciting when studying Gaelic to be given an English gloss that I've never encountered! a kebbock is a round of cheese. There you go, no extra cost.

No comments: