Monday, June 07, 2010

Use of the Languages in Academic Documents

Which would you prefer, and why?

1) Quotations in original languages, no translation
2) Quotations in original languages, footnotes translation
3) Quotations in original language, with translation in main body
4) Quotations in translation, original language in footnote
5) Quotations in translation, no original language citation

If it helps to clarify, I mean particularly languages on which the primary work is being done. So, Greek and Hebrew for Biblical works, Greek and Latin for Patristics. I leave it as a secondary question whether French, German, English quotations should be left untranslated or not.

3 comments:

cafedave said...

I would vote for option 2 - I'd like the translation, but I won't try myself if it's too easy to find.

mapoulos said...

I'd vote for option 2, though it can vary depending on the quotation. Longer quotations are less "palatable" in the original languages. Sometimes it's not necessary to cite the original because the quote comes through clearly in the translation. Some would get annoyed from inconsistency though, so a straightforward policy may be best ;-).

Seumas Macdonald said...

Thanks, I appreciate your input.