Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A course I'd be content with

Sorry for all the posting, my brain is just abuzz today. So much content is locked up and copyrighted and inaccessible. I really detest this. What I want, and what I think we need, is this:

A complete course from A to Z. That is aimed at communicative competency (or language acquisition). It should begin with the very simplest of language, and proceed to the most sophisticated, which is in the end what most students of classical texts will want to read.

It should have a course booklet that is self-contained, consists primarily of the target language, and involves a long connected prose with elements of dialogue as well. The main aim always is to provide input.

It should break down into readily digestible units.

It should have accompanying audio.

The booklet should be open-sourced and so freely downloadable and copyable. A publication option should also be available.

Similarly the audio should come in discrete mp3 units downloadable as a free podcast. A cd-option could also be made available.

Such a course would not be a cure-all. It would be a real step forward though. I realise there are many steps in this direction that exist. Oerberg’s Lingua Latina is a great example. The republication of Rouse’s Greek Boy is also very welcome. Millner’s vast work on the Latinum project deserves mention. The excellent materials by Randall Buth. Rico’s Polis course. But nothing is quite where I think things should be at. I realise, too, that the labour I propose is a vast undertaking, and not likely to be achieved any time soon. Of course, but one problem is that to take the time to construct such a course, most will require compensation (I, too, require money to eat), and yet it is precisely the inaccesibility of resources and their deficiencies that places us in this position of desideratum anyway.

Give me a grant and a year and I’d produce such a course. I’d do Latin and Greek side-by-side too.

No comments: