Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Brief summary of current side-projects

It's certainly one of my sometimes unhelpful proclivities to take on side projects. At present I can think of 3 that I am seriously working on:

1. The Gregory Nazianzus reader. Trying to create a reader's version of the 5 Theological Orations. Currently I'm working through the list of all words, and condensing them by noting down their frequency. This is rather time consuming. Anyway, it's a good project and I look forward to the next few stages. I also don't mind data-crunching mechanical work that much.

2. McGuffey Readers. I only started this the other day. The idea is to translate the Eclectic Readers of McGuffey into both Greek and Latin. Already it's proven to be beneficial to myself. Learning words for cat, hen, etc., and thinking through some translation issues. I expect as the complexity of texts increases that it will be both more personally beneficial, and of greater use to others.

3. The Greek Colloquial handbook project (that I mentioned in the last post). This too I've just started, but I think it will be a really useful resource. I'm hoping it can serve as a bit of a basis for working on Greek conversation with people.


All of which takes time that I don't have a lot of. I try and refrain from doing any of this during my 8-4:30 study day, so that I can that time focused on study and thesis-work.

Here are some additional projects I'm contemplating:

4. I'd really like to take up podcasting again. I think I'd pick up Rouse's Greek Boy and start recording readings from it again, probably with a Buthian Reconstructed-Koine Pronunciation.
5. Beyond that, it would be good to record podcasts to go with Kendrick as well.
6. Thirdly in the podcast realm, writing 5 minute scripts and recording one of those per week would be another beneficial work. This might have to follow on from project 3 above.

7. Lingua Latina, Greek style, would be something of a holy grail. I'm aware (though haven't seen), the Italian Athenaze. Rouse's Greek boy comes close. But if we had a genuine Greek text built on the same principle as Oerberg's LL, its usefulness would be astounding. As it is, anyone interested in Attic as a living language has to try and gather together a half-dozen (excellent, let me be clear) resources and make the most of them. 'Lingua Graeca' would be a complete course, something one could teach from, all in Greek. Some adjustments might need to be made (it's relatively easy for a Latin-alphabet-using-language-speaker to pick up LL and get started, the Greek alphabet and pronunciation are a little more of a stumbling block. Audio would be an essential complement)

Okay, enough dreaming for now.

2 comments:

mapoulos said...

Three cheers for reconstructed koine! I'm currently trying to make the switch myself.

Seumas Macdonald said...

Buth's materials were critical for my move. It took me awhile to come around on the theory side. For awhile I tried to do both: reconstructed koine and classical restored, but it's quite difficult. I can still manage a classical or even Erasmian at times, but Koine has its definite advantages. I do have a tendency to lengthen eta and to distinguish rough from smooth breathings (the latter I can live with).