Sunday, May 30, 2010

A few notes for the reader

I've just posted up 6 posts (sorry, perhaps they should have been one), which form a homilectic reflection on Mark 11:1-25. I was trying something new in this case. See, I was trained very much to write, and write I do quite well (if not always lucidly). Yet, as I've matured as a speaker, especially a no-notes speaker, I tend to prepare sermons without much writing at all. This, I think, has a few disadvantages: apart from recordings, the content and background research of sermon preparation has a tendency to disappear. So, being called upon to preach this sunday, I have made a special effort to write up the same thoughts that went into my sermon. I'll post up a recording of it soon enough, and for those with time you'll see something of the difference in style.

Secondly, I've begun yet another blog. It's over here. It's going to be a place for me just to try and jot down a few sentences of Latin, maybe other languages too (Greek, Gaelic), about each day, a diary of sorts. So, nothing profound going on over there, but if that's your cup of tea, feel free to read along.

Thirdly, I've almost finished up a translation project I've been working on for a number of weeks. It's taken longer than I thought, but the process has been both richly rewarding and a challenge for my skills. When it's all finalised you can have all the details and the text too.

Once that is out of the way, and I wrap up the Church History course I've been doing, I'm going to look more closely at starting on turning Gregory Nazianzus' Theological Orations into a Reader's Edition. I've had some good encouragement, and the mechanisms of doing are clearer and appear more achievable.

Progress on the thesis is slow but steady. I'm hoping June will be a good month to achieve some substantial progress on reading my primary documents and writing up some analysis. That should form the bulk of the writing material and really move things along.

No comments: