Saturday, February 20, 2010

The passing of Hans Henning Ørberg

As I open up my laptop this morning to review news, blogs, and emails, I am saddened to read of the passing of Hans Henning Ørberg, 1920-2010. You may read a brief bio at wikipedia.

In my own opinion, Ørberg's Lingua Latina per se Illustrata will remain one of the twentieth century's enduring pedagogical contributions in Latin. Nothing is as useful, against a whole tide, for the instruction of Latin as a living language, and to overturn the many faults of grammar-translation.

Personally, coming to Ørberg's books after 3 or 4 years of university Latin, having struggled mightily year after year to stay up after my theology classes, translating my way through high literary text after text, reading LL transformed my ability and passion for Latin. For this, I remain truly grateful.

And so may the work of his life long endure, and vale, Hans, requiescat in pace.

No comments: