Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Imputation, John's Gospel, Studies

Went in to college for our semi-regular graduate students presentation seminar. Listened to some fine papers, including a particularly engaging paper defending the imputation of Christ's righteousness as both active and passive obedience. The paper came with an 81 page written version, which I look forward to reading. Particularly intriguing was the argument that Romans 5:18 is better translated the 'vindication of one man', rather than 'one righteous act', in accord with almost all historic translations and commentators, against most Moderns.


I have to prepare a paper on John's Gospel for an MA subject I'm auditing. My broad topic was narrative Christology, which has thrown up a huge range of questions: what is Christology? what is a genuine narrative Christology as opposed to theology embedded in narrative? does a strong thematic focus in the narrative justify an 'almost-title' designation (eg., 'lifegiver', 'sent one', in John)? A whole bunch of questions which I won't even get around to beginning to answer. I had a constructive chat with our lecturer today and narrowed down my topic to a more manageable subject,


Been reading a variety of blogs, articles, etc., critical of the whole academic system. I feel like there's a lot of strong weight to the argument that graduate studies, especially in the USA-style system, fosters an exploitive market of poorly-paid academic workers who earn PhD's and then have nowhere to go. I'm grateful that my own current situation is fairly low-cost to myself, which makes up for the minimalistic supervision and input I generally experience. It really is a solo-deal at the moment.


Lastly, I've got two months to get through hundreds and hundreds of pages. I'm determined not to push my final exam on patristic Trinitarian thought back past the end of June. So, some solid weeks of reading ahead, but I think it will be good. Then I'll be on to dissertation work in July.

No comments: