Monday, March 02, 2009

do you have any linux-fu?

I'm in need of some help.

Running Ubuntu 8.10, when I boot up, the keyboard has decided to be Greek. Which means it types Greek into my login and password. But my login and password aren't in Greek. Furthermore, I can't seem to change the language. Worse, going straight into a terminal session seems to leave me in Greek as well. Why am I stuck in Greek? Upshot - I can't access my whole Ubuntu system. Which is putting a serious cramp on getting any work done.

I'm waiting for the linux-verse to give me an answer or workaround. The laptop is dual-boot with Vista. Is there a way to get Vista to mount the other hard-drive partition and hack into the xorg.conf or something?

If you're out there with some linux-fu, let me know.

[edit] I can boot-up into ubuntu from CD, and then mount the hard-drive partition. But I still don't know what files to alter. xorg.conf doesn't have anything about an Input Device Keyboard to mess with.

[edit] I seem to have fixed things, by adding some lines to the xorg.conf file. Pretty happy to have fixed it, now I can get on with doing some work.

This is how I fixed it:

I booted up from a CD, mounted the hard-drive, then ran through some options.
I tried running the console-setup package. But that didn't seem to have any effect - when I rebooted the problems were exactly the same.
I couldn't find enough understandable instructions to check my default locale and change that.
What I did do was add details to the xorg.conf, specifically I added:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

This seems to have solved things.

1 comment:

Roger Pearse said...

Here is the first commandment. Always remember the poor soul who finds your post in two years time and who hath the same problem. Consider his rage to discover your vagueness about what exactly you did to fix it. Do not lead him into temptation to blaspheme, to rage, to call imprecations on your head, lest he come round with a bat and break your head. Selah.

In other words; post what you did, hey?