Tuesday, February 03, 2009

2009: Doing it tough on the languages

This is what I've been doing lately, and why I haven't been posting much.

Greek: I've been doing a lot of work on Greek. Everything from vocab drilling (trying to expand and also cement accentuation), working through Zuntz's introductory textbook (it's massive), using Buth's materials to internalise, Prose composition, reading intermediate texts (classical and patristic), and scripture memorisation.

Hebrew: My Hebrew program is more scaled-back. Reading over and reviewing an introductory grammar, working through Buth's materials, frequency-based vocab drilling, and a commitment to preaching 3 OT books from the Hebrew text this year, even if it's done with a lot of software assistance.

Latin: My Latin scheme is more intensive too. I'm trying to re-learn vocab to inculcate vowel-length knowledge. Reading through Gildersleeve and Lodge, some of Oerberg's Roma Aeterna, Patristic selections (Minucius Felix at the moment), prose composition, and Adler.

I then spend a little time working on German and Gaelic, before spending as long as I can focus working on my reading course - at the moment I'm about halfway through Athanasius' Orationes contra Arianos, and it's slow going. My page-count limit for the course was 2500, but the nature of the ANF-NPNF volumes means its a lot more reading.

That's my studies, then I go and do work. Now you understand why I haven't got to much posting. Secondly, I've been cutting down on internet time. Trying to focus more.

So, that's my half-apology, half-explanation.

1 comment:

mike said...

Shoot, I wish I had that much time!

I also wish I had Zuntz, its impossible to find.